OSLO’s 12 Dos and Don’ts for flawless tanning
Unfortunately for those who long for a bronzed glow, it's not as simple as turning up for your spray-tan, if you want to ensure you get the best results for as long as possible. To make your spray tan go the distance, there are a few simple steps you can take at home to ensure it looks and feels as good as possible. At OSLO, we're major fans of Vita Liberata, so much so it's the only tanning product we work with. It’s Irish, odourless, and best of all, it’s organic. Vita Liberata comes in a variety of golden and sun-kissed shades so that we can tailor the tan to suit our many clients’ wishes. We promise you’ll adore it as much as we do.
As our clients regularly ask us how to prepare before their application and how to lengthen the effects of the spray-tan in the days after, we've created our foolproof checklist of dos and don'ts.
- Do exfoliate regularly in the lead up to your spray tan. It's very important that you scrub away dead skin cells, ensuring that the product adheres fresh, silky soft skin. This will not only make your tan look much better, it will last longer too.
- Do pay careful attention to knees, elbows, hands and feet. Have you been wearing false tan in the last few weeks? Make sure every last trace of it is gone, especially at these tougher points where product tends to gather.
- Do ensure that your skin is well hydrated. Drink plenty of water - always - and moisturise with a product that absorbs into the dermis rather than simply sitting on top of it. Exfoliation will help this process too.
- Don't, however, moisturise on the day you go for a spray tan. This is also important for tanning at home; it's never a good idea. Give your skin plenty of time to absorb your moisturiser before going anywhere near the false tan.
- Don't wear any perfume or deodorant or any product that may affect the application.
- Do give yourself at least 8 hours to allow the tan develop to its full potential.
- Don't shave right before your tan; this is a common mistake and one that leaves you with an unwanted speckled effect as the tan seeps into freshly shaven pores. Shaving right beforehand could potentially irritate the skin too, so best leave it til the morning after when you wash away the excess tan.
- Don't wear any clothes that you really value when you go for your spray tan. Ensure whatever you wear is loose-fitting and if you can wear flip-flops instead of shoes, better still.
- Don't be put off by the strength of colour as the tan develops; this heaviness will always wash away when you shower.
- Do wash the palms of your hands when you get home, gently.
- Do moisturise twice a day after your tan has been applied; this will hugely impact the lifespan of your tan and prevent it from going patchy when it is eventually time to wear away.
- Do book in at OSLO to try Vita Liberata tan*.
* Recognised as the world’s leading non-toxic tanning company, Irish brand Vita Liberata uses natural and certified organic ingredients to create a luxury tanning experience. This conditions and nourishes the skin, locking in moisture to hydrate for 72 hours, for a perfectly even fade. Vita Liberata offers an extensive selection of odourless shades and a variety of formulations, including the RAPID TAN which is ready to rinse off in just one hour, or the INVISI-TAN for a fast drying invisible application, ensuring a perfect glow for all skin types. At OSLO, we are proud to use and support true Irish innovation in our quest to enhance natural beauty.